Can I Get A DUI on Private Property?
The law on the issue of whether you can get a DUI on private property is no longer what it used to be. In the past, it was not illegal to drink and drive on certain areas designated as private property.
The modern trend, however, no longer distinguishes between public and private roadways for DUI purposes.
Furthermore, the issue often arises in situations where a person is parked on private property, leaving the case to depend on whether or not the keys were in the ignition and whether the driver was in a actual physical control of the vehicle. f you have been arrested for DUI while on private property, check your local laws for more information and be sure to consult with an experienced attorney for help in defending your DUI case.
Some common scenarios where private property DUI arrests occur:
- Bar parking lots
- Convenience store parking lots
- Stadium parking lots
- Dirt roads used for ATV and motorcycle riding
- Golf courses
It is not safe to assume that just because you are on private property, you are immune from a DUI arrest or conviction. In fact, there are very few places left where a person can legally drive drunk anywhere.
Call an Attorney
Call now to let us assist you in locating a DUI attorney in your area. We have a large network of DUI lawyers and legal representatives in our database. If you don't find an attorney for your area, we can locate one for you.
Frequently Asked Questions
- Should I hire a lawyer or use a public defender?
- What should I do immediately after recieving a charge?
- How do I find the best lawyer?
- Can a great lawyer really get my charge completely dropped?
- What are some common laws?
- What is the most important thing to be prepared for?
- How much will it cost total?
- How will I contact my lawyer?